07 October 2010

National Poetry Day in the UK

National Poetry Day celebrates poetry across the UK. Our theme is HOME.

National Poetry Day Official Web Site

There were a variety of events around the UK to celebrate National Poetry Day today.

This isn't in keeping with the theme of "Home" but this poem is one of my favourites (and the first poem that I memorized):

The poem "Daffodils" written in 1804 by William Wordsworth read by the actor Sir Jeremy Irons:



Do you have a favourite poem?

4 comments:

  1. Hello, belated thanks for joining in the fun last week.
    I'll include this post in the one I'm doing tomorrow, which is a round up for the event.
    I have two favourite poems...A Dance Through the Sky by Timothy S.Bastian and My Little Friend by Brian H.Gent.
    Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Flighty - very appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there, thank you for the nice comment over on my blog. Daffodils is one of those poems that, I think, we've all heard somewhere and feel like we know; even if we can't remember the words, we can recognise it from the opening line. (I did like Sir Jeremy Irons' reading of the poem too -- he has a voice that suits it I think)

    M

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're very welcome!

    Yes, I think you're right about Daffodils. I'm sure everyone knows it. It's a very popular poem.

    I think Sir Jeremy Irons has the perfect voice to read it too.

    ReplyDelete